Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Who Knew? Savoir Faire and other mini triumphs

This is probably going to sound retarded since it's such a basic thing for most of my classmates but I feel as though I just struck GOLD!!!! For the past several weeks (and prior) I've wanted to learn how to embed a link in a word. It seemed so cool, like something only someone who was really "pro" would casually do without thinking twice. Last night (seems like a week ago) at What Cafe, I asked Ji Yae if she would email me instructions on how to do it. However, tonight, as I was writing my previous post, I happened to notice the word "Link" on the dashboard. I clicked on it and a new world opened up to me!!! It took me a few tries but it finally worked. Ever see the excitement in a toddler's eyes when he takes his first steps on his own? This mini-triumph has led me to reflect on a much deeper truth. In the past, I have experienced a strong aversion to clicking on buttons I knew nothing about. I have even disliked watching other people click on buttons by way of experimentation. Tonight I learned that sometimes it's the best way to learn.

9 comments:

  1. Hooray! I'm glad you were able to figure it out. I agree with you. Exploration and "trial-and-error" can be the best ways of learning new things. Keep exploring. Who know what else you might find! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for cheering on the little-engine-that-thought-it-could :)

      Delete
  2. What's even more funny about your story is that I'd responded to another classmate about embedding links a few weeks ago, but because I was still learning myself, I responded on my blog since that's where the question was posted. I now realize that I should've responded in a general forum also. I'm still happy that you've found the gold!

    Since I love sharing, I'll share some platinum with you! Now that many of us know how to embed links into our blogs, I was curious about doing so in our comments. Here's a link that helped me. Though it might seem a tad bit technical at first, it's worth a try. I got so excited when it actually worked! Remember you can preview comments before they're posted to make sure it looks the way you want it to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the link, Byron. Mike's instructions were clear and easy to follow.

      Delete
  3. Actually I'd responded to you Yvette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...but silly me, that was so long ago and I forgot who I had asked!! You eventually got the info to me though. See, moving in Small circles has its benefits after all.:)

      Delete
    2. Lol - I'm so happy you're now using the gold and platinum! You've not only used the bold and italicize html commands but you've combined them. Nice! Now with that pun on Small - well that just took me over the top and I'm short-circuiting with pride :-) Way to go!

      Delete
  4. I did the same as Byron, I responded to the same request individually and not to the class as a whole. Wish I had now.

    On the experimental experiential learning (aka random button pushing), I observed that elementary students learned rapidly with PC programs because of their willingness to do this. It's like stacking blocks til they fall over, they push the limits to learn the 'rules' so to speak. I believe adults have an aversion to this because of the value we place on time and effort. When something fails and we have to start all over, we don't focus on the lesson and think only of the time and energy that was 'wasted.' I have tried to adopt that childlike quality when working with programs and web materials. Just that it sometimes leads me into unproductive distractions....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Know what Mark, I probably also asked you and forgot to go back to check for the answer.
      I have witnessed the button-pushing logic in action and can attest that it works, much to my chagrin. However, when I try to do something like that, I usually "break" something and no one can figure out how to put it back together again.

      Delete