Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Communication, reciprocity and the like

It's rather ironic that we're enrolled in a Web 2.0 class. Much of the excitement about Web 2.0, is connectivity and facilitation of collaboration. We just completed papers on communities of practice which required we observe, attempt to participate in and comment on the types of interaction we noted online. How many papers have we read marveling on how the web has bridged gaps between continents, cultures, language and time zones? We are as connected as we want or do not want to be. In this class, however, it seems as though we are experiencing "failure to launch". Perhaps, I'm out of the loop since so far, my attempts to tweet to the class hashtag has not met with much success. I've been told that Twitter can be frustrating that way and that I should continue to tweet until the post shows up. I have floated around and visited many of my classmates blogs and left posts on several. Other than our instructor, who's been dedicated to encouraging us all by leaving comments on almost every post, I've had two classmates view and comment on posts of mine over the past five weeks. Doesn't reciprocity count? Dr. Dennen has even addressed this in the class blog, yet very little "comment kindness" has resulted. Why not? At one point, I theorized that the learning curve for many of us has been rather steep which has left some of us with little brain power and time to spend online for simple social "interacting". Unless it's absolutely required for grades, it ain't happenin'! But I notice that everyone seems to be doing very well, tweeting a bunch (although I don't consider tweeting the ideal mode of interaction) and even going above and beyond the expected on their individual blogs. Some of my classmates have demonstrated amazing prowess technologically. Whatever happened to practicing what we preach or, in this case, what we're learning? Guess when all tech fails, we resort to meeting for coffee face-to-face. Looking forward to it for those who live in the 850.

7 comments:

  1. I visited Dr. D's office and we talked about it - how this semester has been quiet on the reciprocity and commenting and all that. After giving more thought, I think it's a combination of info overload and busy schedules. It really is hard for me to get to most of the posts AND explore the topics of the week while managing the rest of my life. I daresay the intention is there, and its likely that more people are reading than commenting. Do not lose heart, friend. Hope to see you at the coffee meeting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Camille,
      So glad to hear from you. I am loosing heart but trying not to.
      This week we're trying to enjoy what might be the last true family time together as our girls are grown and will probably be leaving the nest soon :(
      So particularly hard to be stuck at the computer all day trying to get work done on one or both summer classes.
      Really looking forward to coffee together. J

      Delete
  2. What Camille said! I've seen spurts of interaction and reciprocity among some folks, but it comes and goes. Overload is probably a good chunk of the issue. Everyone I talk to says they're overloaded (more this summer than in past summers, I think -- not sure why). I feel more overloaded this summer, too.

    Oh, and Twitter is funky that way. It's partly to keep out spam accounts, but it keeps out legit folks, too. Eventually Twitter figures out that you're legit and lets your posts through to the hashtag. I've not been on Twitter much lately. Bad me. Must go pay a visit there tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to coffee meeting soon.
      Today marks my fifth try to tweet and promote my URL. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I had no problem tweeting when I first signed up and was interacting with random people and receiving responses. I just can't seem to tweet to #eme6414. GRRRRR!!

      Delete
  3. It definitely seems to be a tough summer this year. It seems like we are all a bit overloaded on topics and technology. I still try to add comments whenever possible. I think that if you post comments, people might be more likely to reply and check your blog (which can then lead to them posting comments on your blog out of "guilt" haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have been posting. Looks like guilt doesn't work very well. Camille had some responses to her shout out for consolation. People are visiting and reading just not commenting.

      Delete
  4. Yea. Not everyone will unfortunately. I still try to post comments whenever I can. And I just build more conversations with those who do. It works out well for me :)

    ReplyDelete