Tuesday, May 20, 2014

I watched this great video on YouTube and highly recommend it. I found it from a reference a few weeks ago in one of our required readings, "Blogs, Wikipedia, Second Life and Beyond. From Production to Produsage", Axel Bruns (2008). The video is called, "Community Trumps Content" and is presented by Jeff Utech.  He currently teaches at a highschool in China (I think) and discusses how traditional schools block kids (or try to at least) from using social media and how we are really doing them a disservice since more and more the world/companies are demanding tech-proficient employees. 

He goes on to talk about the coming revolution in education and jokingly mentions that he has a FaceBook account for one reason:  So he will know when he's lost his job as a teacher because one day kids are going to realize that they can get so much more from the Internet than they can in school. 


Find it at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8djV8slDN0


1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for the video! It's interesting to see how having no education can be bad for students. I guess its hard to find the right balance of technology for educational purposes :) Also, I replied to your comment on my blog. But I thought I would talk to you on here as well. Feel free to email me whenever you like. I have some options on how we can work together :)

    ReplyDelete